Layne Kasper is Managing Partner at Kasper & Associates, a firm that works with medium-sized businesses and helps business owners sell their companies. Layne has been the firm’s Managing Partner since 1997 and is responsible for coordinating the firm’s activities and being the go-to person for their network of prospective clients and professional advisors. Before leading Kasper & Associates, Layne was part of the US Air Force, serving as Captain.
In this episode, Layne discusses what business owners need to know before selling their business, especially regarding the details that are critical to potential buyers. He shares the story of Kasper & Associates and why Layne left the US Air Force. He describes the steps sellers need to take to make sure their company is attractive to buyers and to facilitate a faster transition. Layne also explains the importance of confidentiality in a sale and how leaks can adversely affect a company.
“For many business owners, their business is their identity.” – Layne Kasper
This week on Priorities Lifestyle:
- Who Layne is and how his company helps middle-market clients
- How the industry has shifted in the last 30 years
- Layne’s experience in the Air Force and why he chose to focus on running a family business
- Why some businesses tear families apart
- The type of client that’s a perfect fit for Kasper & Associates
- Why selling a business takes perseverance
- How business owners can fast-track the sale of their company
- Layne’s advice to help leaders cope with the loss of ownership in their business
- The importance of confidentiality when selling a business
- Some of the ways Layne helps “lock” sellers with their buyers
- Making the founder comfortable with selling their company to new owners
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “One of the biggest concerns sellers have is confidentiality.” – Layne Kasper
- “You need to be planning your transition on day one.” – Rob Schulz
- “You can get a better deal as a seller by alleviating risk for your buyer.” – Rob Schulz
Connect with Layne Kasper:
- Kasper & Associates
- Kasper & Associates on Facebook
- Layne Kasper on LinkedIn
- Layne Kasper on Twitter
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Rob Schulz and P&L Podcast
The P&L Podcast is a show for business owners. In each episode, host and financial planner Rob Schulz sits down with business owners and the professionals that serve them to talk about business building, life, money — and the all-important transition out of the business, which inevitably happens to everyone who has ever founded a company.
Email Rob at email@example.com with questions, comments, and to schedule a one-on-one conversation.
Follow Rob on LinkedIn.
Follow Schulz Wealth on LinkedIn
And, if you enjoy the show, please leave a review on iTunes to help others discover the podcast.