Jordan Jayson is the CEO and Chairman of US Energy Development Corporation, a private oil and gas firm founded in 1980 that provides direct energy investments. As the head of the company, Jordan is in charge of overseeing its strategy, vision, and change management implementation. Before becoming the company head, Jordan earned over a decade’s experience on Wall Street, managing various portfolios and trading on behalf of large companies.
Jordan joins me this week to describe what US Energy Development Corporation is and how he transitioned to becoming its CEO. He shares what it was like growing up with entrepreneurial parents and what he learned from them. He explains what owners should understand when appointing board members. He discusses why taking risks is part of the responsibility of being a CEO. Jordan also underscores the importance of team members knowing they’re being appreciated.
“One thing about being chairman and CEO is if it doesn’t go right, it’s your fault. If it does go right, we share with the team.” - Jordan Jayson
This week on Priorities Lifestyle:
- How Jordan managed to keep the company afloat after losing his parents in the same year
- What US Energy is and how Jordan’s parents started it
- What the oil and gas wells scene was like in the 80s
- How the company worked in the 90s and how it works today
- How Jordan’s family valued continuous education
- When Jordan was promoted to CEO and what the transition was like
- What owners should be wary of when picking board members
- Why they moved from Buffalo, New York, to Texas
- Why Jordan attributes being a risk-taker to leadership
- The most rewarding program Jordan has completed
- How Jordan sees the company’s leadership changing for the next generation
- The importance of being verbal about your team’s success
- Where the company is at in terms of culture
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “There are ways to be competitive without it being excitable.” - Jordan Jayson
- “There’s always going to be a shift in the way things happen—otherwise, the business can’t grow moving forward.” - Rob Schulz
- "I don’t really believe in balance. I believe in passion. We should be passionate about things important to us.” - Rob Schulz
Connect with Jordan Jayson
About Rob Schulz and P&L Priorities & Lifestyle Podcast
The P&L: Priorities & Lifestyle Podcast is a show for business owners. In each episode, host and financial planner Rob Schulz sits down with business owners and the professionals that serve them to talk about business building, life, money — and the all-important transition out of the business, which inevitably happens to everyone who has ever founded a company.
Email Rob at email@example.com with questions and comments, or to schedule a one-on-one conversation.
Follow Rob on LinkedIn
Follow Schulz Wealth on LinkedIn
Subscribe to the podcast here:
And, if you enjoy the show, please leave a review to help others discover the podcast.
Disclaimer: You’re listening to P&L: Priorities & Lifestyle with your host Rob Schulz. Rob is the Founder and President of Schulz Wealth. All opinions expressed by Rob and his guests are solely their own opinions and do not reflect the opinions of Schulz Wealth. This podcast is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for investment decisions. Please refer to our website for more information: schulzwealth.com.